Department of History
In 2013, Department of Engineering, Department of Water Supply, Wastewater, Thermal Equipment and Building Engineering Equipment was established on the Faculty of Construction of Georgian Technical University, which united “Water Supply and Wastewater” and “Thermal Arrangement and Ventilation” directions. The department was led by Prof. Nikoloz Natsvlishvili, March, 2017, prof. Guram Soselia and the head of the department is Prof. Alexander Bagration-Davitashvili.
At present, there are 13 professors, 7 associate professors, 2 assistant professors and 4 assistants in the department. Apart from that, the department works with two senior specialist and 2 laboratories, with 30 employees.
As a result of the fruitful work of the department staff, a modular teaching system was created with three modules. During this period, the newly developed curriculum and syllabuses were developed. The renewal of the training on the Russian sector (undergraduate) has been resumed in water supply and sewerage and a new Russian language program “Construction of Water Supply and Wastewater System” (program manager Prof. N. Natsvlishvili) has been created. New Master’s English Language Program “Water Supply, Wastewater, Rational Use and Protection of Water Resources” and “Water Engineering” and a new program “Water Engineering” in Georgian, Russian and English for Dr. (Program Implementers Prof. A.Bagriton-Davitashvili and Prof.I.Ishvili), and also worked out the subjective syllabuses for bachelor’s degree, master’s and doctoral studies.
At present, the staff of the Department take part in two new educational programs: “Construction” and “Civil Engineering”, which will accrede to the Accreditation Council of American Engineering and Engineering (ABET). There are 16 manuals, 12 monographs and more than 1200 scientific articles published and published by professors and teachers published in both former Soviet and foreign countries as well as more than 30 methodological instructions for students. The department is taught – special disciplines. The certificate of authenticity has been obtained for more than 30 inventions in the department.
Repair works were done in plumbing, pumps and thermal conducting laboratories. Auditors are filled with new inventory and installed video devices.
Also, the Austrian government will be financed and will be equipped with the latest laboratory hydraulics, water quality determination and monitoring.
The Department has business relations with United Water Supply Company of Georgia and Tbilisi Company “Georgian Water and Power”. The works are underway in cooperation with scientific research institutes of Azerbaijan and Armenia on the basis of creative cooperation, as well as polytechnic institutions in Hungary, Poland, Austria, and Belarus.
In the Department there are many scientific research works being financed by the budget of Georgia and financing of international grants.
The UNDP project is intended to deepen links between the formal / informal vocational education system and needs of the labor market in Georgia in the context of training in life, funded by the EU.
Project No. 135: “Academic Cooperation for Capacity Building in Environmental Education” (ACCES)
Donor: Austria Agency International Cooperation in Education and Research OeAD-GmbH – Austrian Cooperation Program for Higher Education and Research Development (APPEAL).
The staff of the Department take part in international conferences and symposiums in many countries around the world.
5 employees of the department are elected as the real member of the Georgian Engineering Academy. 1 member of the Department is a scholarship scholar of the Georgian Academy of Sciences.
Department – 6 employees are awarded with different quality with orders
(Dignity), and medals. Among them 3 are the special prizes of the Ministry of Higher Education.
As already mentioned, the Department has created two chairs, and in the following two directions: “Water Supply and Wastewater” and “Thermal Arrangement and Ventilation”. Briefly about the history of these chapters:
Brief History of Water Supply Chair
In 1945, at the Polytechnic Institute of Georgia (later Technical University), Levan Diasamidze, chair of water supply was established, who headed himself till 1962. His participation started in 1925 and ended in 1933. The unique building of Natakhtari is Tbilisi’s unique water supply. Levan Diasamidze was awarded with the Order of Order of Order and Medal of Honorable Worker of Science and Technology.
Employees of Water Supply Chain (1965)
Since 1962, the Doctor of technical sciences, merited engineer Aleksandre Zedgenidze is headed to the Cathedral. Many of the high-quality teachers’ professions have contributed to the high level of training of thousands of young specialists, scientific-methodical and research. Ketevan Kutateladze, Otar Kanchaveli, Paata Namgaladze, Evgenia Loladze, Guram Soselia, Rezo Danelia, Vazha Nachkebia, Liziko Nijaradze, Nikoloz Natsvlishvili, Yuri Gegelashvili, Zurab Zalikashvili, Tengiz Chiladze, Teimuraz Ivanishvili and many others were working at the faculty. Increased young worker. In 1968, under the guidance of Alexander Zedginidze, “Industrial and Utility Water Supply and Sewage Research Sector Laboratory” was the main direction of which was the protection of water resources and rational use, industrial wastewater treatment, water reservoirs protection from pollution and so on. The efficiency and implementation of scientific-research topics developed by G. Soselia, N.Nasvlavlis, G. Zugenti, T.Labartkava and others of the main staff in the field laboratory gave the country millions of money.
In 1984, the department of water supply and sewage was led by Professor Mikheil Ghoghoberidze. Based on scientifically grounded opinions during his leadership (by the principal working group of the chair: M. Toggoberidze, L. Klimiashvili, G. Soselia, T. Labartkava, N. Natsvlishvili, V. Nachkebia, V. Gegelashvili) were prohibited to design transcaucasian railway The river The withdrawal of the railway in the Aragvi gorge would cause irreparable threat to the main headquarters of Tbilisi water supply.
Since 1989, the chair was headed by Tech. Me. Doctor, Professor Givi Kikacheishvili, who at the same time was director of the KomunProject Project Institute, was working on this period. Tbilisi Water Supply and Sewer Technical Description Project, which included recommendations for rehabilitation and rehabilitation of urban networks.
Since 2000, the chair was headed by Tech. Me. Prof. Dr. Levan Klimiashvili, the head of which was established and established the actual cost and loss of water consumption of Georgian settlements in Georgia, which was successfully used for various objects of Georgia. In the meantime, he established the opinions with staff. Lease of Tbilisi water supply system French company “General Déjas”. The consideration of these considerations suspended the lease process. With the initiative of Prof. Klimiashvili, the work was revived with young scientists.
Today Mr. Levan Klimiashvili is a Vice-Rector of Georgian Technical University.
In 2009-2013, the Chairmanship was formed as a direction led by Tech. Me. Doctor, prof. G. Tsikhelashvili.
More than 30 manuals, 9 monographs, more than 40 methodological guidelines for courses and diploma designs, over 1500 scientific articles, more than 30 inventions have been issued by chairpersons. More than 25 doctoral and more than 30 candidate dissertations are protected.
Thermal supply and brief history of ventilation chair
1963 The chair of the thermal power and ventilation was formed and led by Professor Givi Darchia, began a wide range of creative scientific and technical activities. In the first half of the 70s it has already established a very strong scientific-technical unit of thermal power and ventilation chair, which is still named Givi Darchia chair, its founder prof. C. Darchy’s honor.
Thermo-supply and Ventilation Chairmen (1967) Givi Makharoblidze, Givi Kumsishvili, Vazha Chikhladze, Otar Purtseladze, Murtaz Jokhadze, Giuli Urushadze, Mamuli Grdzelishvili, Shevaz Kodua, Dimitri Kuchukhidze, Temur Khurtsidze, Jumber Kakulia, Otar Giorgobiani, Vano Lezhava, Giorgi Bibileishvili, Giorgi Akhvlediani, Tamaz Andghuladze, Ts Bucukuri, Korneli Rochikashvili.
A number of training-methodical manuals were created. In Georgian Ratiani and M. Grdzelishvili’s guide – building thermal physics. In the same years, A. Museridze’s gas supply, first and second parts.
In almost every subject, the methodological guidelines were designed to fulfill the course and diploma plans.
The laboratory base of the chair has been strengthened. The computational technique was introduced in the learning process. Advanced laboratories and training rooms were created at that time. The chair has been working on a wide range of business topics. The thermal supply schemes of the cities of Georgia have been developed, including the importance of cities with Tbilisi and Batumi centralized heat exchanges, which provided for the heating and air conditioning of the buildings. Poti and Tskhinvali heat supply schemes were also worked out.
At the chair, the advanced laboratory equipped with a gas laboratory, which analyzed gas analyzes in the republic and established its parameters.
Thermal energy and ventilation was successfully developing. New gas pipelines were built to supply gas from Russia and Iran to Georgia’s full gasification and heat supply, built of heating, large industrial and public buildings equipped with ventilation and air conditioning systems. The construction and installation of the field was set up in the development and operation of the field, where the graduates of the thermocouple and ventilation specialist were working.